Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Getting to know Belinda McBride

Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

Thanks for having me today, Dawn! Well, I live in the far north part of California , very near Mt. Shasta . I live with my family and my 5 Siberian Huskies…Missy, Pai Mei, River, Poppy, Levi and Ditto the Undead Dog. Yes, I know that adds up to six, but Ditto is undead, you know.

I mostly write speculative fiction, which is pretty much anything that is based on world building. My favorite genre is sci fi/space opera. I write same sex and ménage as well as m/f romance. You can find my books at Loose Id, Changeling Press, Passion in Print, and New Concepts Publishing.

What comes first for you when you sit down to write a book? Plot or Characters?

I don’t really have a set routine for that; sometimes I start with a character that’s been pestering me. In the m/m space opera ‘An Uncommon Whore’ I began with the character Griffin Hawke. He’d been languishing in my character files for awhile. However, in ‘Blacque/Bleu’ I started with a concept: a vampire with insomnia falls in love with a big butch closeted werewolf.

Do you "cast" your characters using pictures or actors to help inspire you when you're writing?

Not very often. I’m not really hooked into TV or movies that much. Sometimes I’ll run across an image somewhere that really strikes me and I’ll save that for inspiration.

How long does it take you to finish a book from start to finish?

For a novella, I like to take a month, two or three for a novel. But this is real life and often, I’ll get a letter from an editor asking if I can move something up a few weeks. I can move very fast when necessary.

Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.

My newest release is ‘Black Planet: Little Foxes.’ Its part of the ongoing Black Planet sci fi series at Changeling Press. I wrote it because in the first BP book ‘Little Dragon’ I left a character hanging in the lurch. He wasn’t really a villain, but he wasn’t a hero either. I decided that after a couple years as a slave, it would be interesting to see how his character had evolved.

How much does reader reaction mean to you as an author? Do you read your own reviews?

Reader reaction is very important. I love it when someone picks up some obscure element in the book or sees something that I don’t see. I also love to hear that they were emotionally moved by my writing. I check my reviews, but I don’t get all tied up in them. That would push me into second guessing myself. Also, I think a lot of reviewers just try too hard and they forget that this is entertainment.

What are you working on now? Anything you want to tell us about?

Yes, I’m working on ‘Blacque/Bleu,’ a m/m paranormal for Loose Id. As I mentioned earlier, it’s about a closeted werewolf and a dying vampire. It’s a bit poignant; the two heroes get together for a weekend fling. Blacque has known all his life that he is gay but has remained celibate. Duty tears them apart and they both find themselves facing some difficult decisions. It will release in the fall for Coming Out month.

I’m also working on ‘Dos Lunas,’ a novella for an anthology called ‘Lucky in Red’ at the new MLR imprint Passion in Print. That will release in the early winter. My partners in the anthology are Lynn Lorenz and Jianne Carlo.

What books are currently on your nightstand/bedside? Anything coming you are dying to read?

I’m currently reading Gena Showalter’s “Darkest Lie.” I’m always waiting anxiously for the next Patricia Briggs or Charlaine Harris book. I’m also collecting the old Georgette Heyer Regency romances on my Nook.

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why?

Since I write in so many genres, it really depends on what a reader likes. But overall, I’d say Belle Starr is a great start. It’s probably my favorite, and has a bit of everything: Sci fi, action, hot sex and shapeshifters. There’s a disastrous ménage thrown in for good measure! LOL!

If you could have been the servant to any famous person in history, who would that be and why?

Hannibal of Carthage . He was probably the greatest military mind of all time. Hannibal came within a hair’s breadth of defeating Rome , which would have literally re-shaped history.

I’d also have had fun with the painter Raphael Sanzo; he was such a horn dog!

What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books?

Well, as we all know, the industry is in flux right now. With the availability of affordable technology to read e-books, the electronic industry is growing like wildfire, and the big guys need to sit up and pay attention. The indie e-publishers are still on the cutting edge, keeping books affordable and not only staying on top of trends, but literally setting the trends today. I think it’s going to become more competitive for authors which will be an asset for readers.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

Yow…big question there. Love? Guo Lee from the Black Planet books. He’s a supporting character in the series. Guo was tricked into immortality as a young man. He’s wise, humorous and incredibly powerful. I love him because in spite of his power, he’s incredibly humble.  Hate? There’s an upcoming character in the sequel to ‘An Uncommon Whore.’ He’s one of the aliens that invaded the planet of Arash and committed atrocities. Fear? Carin Nakeshima from Black Planet: Dragon’s Blood. She’s evil wrapped in a beautiful package. Cruel, bloodthirsty and inhuman. Pity? Jase from the Imperative series. He’s such a lost soul. It was hard to write him without crying.

Do you get along with your muse? What do you do to placate her/it/him when she/he/it refuses to inspire you?

My muse is hyperactive. She never leaves me alone. LOL! But if we’re having a slow day, I just give her the day off to play. She always comes back and starts pestering me again.


If there was a soundtrack to your latest novel, what genre/songs would be included?

For Blacque/Bleu, the song, ‘Kiss From a Rose’ by Seal keeps running through my head. For a soundtrack to that book, I’d include, “The Sky is Cryin’ by Stevie Rae Vaughn, ‘Free Bird’ by Lynyrd Skynyrd, ‘Sweet Melissa’ by the Allman Brothers, ‘Someone to Watch Over Me’ as performed by Willie Nelson. Lots of bluesy, southern rock music for this book.


Which of your characters would you most likely fall for if they were real?

Who wouldn’t I fall for? LOL! I have a soft spot for the very feral Sage Connelly from the Truckee Wolves stories. (Toxic and Educating Evangeline)  I would just love to spend some time on a sofa with Armand from Belle Starr. He’s very alpha and very masculine, but also very easy-going.


Besides the bedroom, what's the sexiest part of your home in your opinion and why?

My office is currently being used to store my daughters’ overflow, but normally I think it’s very sexy. I have wonderful art that inspires me, it’s done in shades of green and grey. I burn vanilla and floral candles. My orchids are blooming right now, so I’m liking the space. J

Where can readers find you on the ‘net for more information on you, your books and other fun stuff?



Black Planet II: Little Foxes
Belinda McBride


There’s no doubt in Kitsune Jung’s mind that he deserves the hellish punishment he receives at the hands of the Nephris. After betraying Rose Lee, he expects no less. He planned his own capture in a daring mission that went sadly awry. Now all he has to look forward to are long days of hard labor and the occasional appearance of Jahn, the handsome young employee of a powerful Nephris general.

Hu Fei Lee has gone undercover to rescue Kit Jung from imprisonment on the Black Planet. She knows about his past with Rose, but somehow the quiet, courageous slave just doesn’t seem to be the venal, cowardly man she expected. Succumbing to a powerful attraction, she seduces Kit, but keeps her true identity a secret.

When the truth comes out, will Kit Jung be able to forgive Hu Fei Lee? And will his own secrets destroy the fragile bond of their love?


EXCERPT:
Home. He closed his eyes against the words, and the dizziness that came with them. They’d sent someone to take him home.
“No.” His voice was so low he barely heard his own words. He cleared his throat. “I can’t go home. Not yet.”
He turned and faced Jahn… Hu Fei. His mind scrabbled, trying to make sense of the name. He grabbed onto the obvious. “Lee? You’re related to Rose Lee?” That was a stupid question. Lee was a common name among the Chinese.
“Cousins. She was raised by my parents. We grew up together.” Hu’s voice was cautious.
“At least your name isn’t Bruce.” He was surprised when the youth broke into a chuckle. It seemed to break the tension.
“Yes, Rose grew up with posters of Bruce all over her room. He’s her hero.”
Kit looked up and gazed at the impostor. He recalled the odd comments Hu Fei had made earlier, the unusual emotions he gave off. “You said maybe Rose and Arad didn’t die…”
“They didn’t. I can’t say too much… not yet. They’re on Earth, alive and well. They helped prepare me for this mission.” He saw a flicker of something… some deep emotion in Hu’s dark eyes. “They married a few months before I left.”
Kit needed to sit down before he fell to the floor. The reaction had kicked in big time. His arms and legs trembled, his heart raced. It felt like a panic attack.
“I’ve been thinking about how to get out of here. I have reason…”
“No.”
Hu looked at him in shock. “No?” Anger began to sparkle in his eyes.
“Not yet.” He rubbed a hand over his eyes. “I’ve got to help with medicine for Debh. And this plant…” He gestured to the starts of the shrub. “I really need to find out what’s up with that. Otherwise, my time here’s just been a big waste.” He sighed. “And Rachal, how can I leave her with Karesh?”
“She’ll come with us. If I can possibly include her in the plan, she’ll come too.”
Kit felt a rush of relief. “Debh?” He didn’t feel so certain about her. Besides, he wouldn’t want to be the target of General Farrar’s fury.
Hu Fei looked at him steadily. “Debh is problematic. She’d have to come to Earth with us. I’m not sure if we’d make it back before she delivered. Her health problems are also a concern. I’m not sure how… safe it would be to confide in her.” So he felt the same uncertainty about the Parsian Kit did.
Hu crossed the small space to stand in front of Kit. “I know this is a shock. I know, but we can’t waste time.” He reached out, settled a hand on Kit’s arm. He looked at that small, rough hand and then looked up into Kit’s face in front of him.
Sudden desire rushed through Kit, bringing the goose bumps up on his skin. He looked steadily into Hu’s brown gaze, and watched as awareness began to dawn in his expression. He craved -- he needed just a touch -- just an expression of gentle care. Kit’s back was braced against the table. He had nowhere to retreat. Hu Fei moved closer, and Kit’s eyes dropped shut, even as Hu’s soft lips brushed against his. He gripped the table hard, keeping his hands in place.
He didn’t want this… not with a man. Maybe once upon another life, but panic bubbled up over the desire, and he gasped. Hu Fei reached up, stroking gently down his face, gentling the fear. His hands ghosted over Kit’s bare throat and back up to his jaw. When Kit opened his mouth, only the tip of the other man’s tongue slipped into his mouth, teasing and light.
Abruptly, the kiss was broken and Kit was enfolded in an embrace. Arms that were smaller than his wrapped around his body, and muscles that were less powerful held him up. The breath that had been frozen in his lungs broke free, and he choked back a huge, dry sob. Unable to deny himself any longer, he wrapped the smaller man up in a hug and buried his face in his shoulder. He wanted to cry, but there were no tears.
“Shhh… it’s over. It’s time to go home.” Hu didn’t let him go. He held on for as long as Kit needed him.


No comments:

Post a Comment