Thursday, May 13, 2010

Branding, Keep it Simple Sister! by Lisa M. Campbell


Branding, Keep It Simple Sister!
By
Lisa M. Campbell

Nowadays you can't have a serious discussion about writing and book promoting without hearing the word brand thrown into the conversation.

What is branding, and why is it necessary for writers to use this technique? Take a moment and think of your favorite authors. What is it about their stories that keeps you into a repeat customer? Why do you search for one particular author first, before checking out someone else who may write in a similar manner?

When I began writing historical romance, I defined my style simply, Where romance begins…. I wanted readers to understand no matter what dramatic, treacherous or humorous events occur in the plot, I would never shortchange them on the romantic development of my main characters. Where romance begins…, is the tag line upon which I build my particular brand of romance.

Eventually I branched out to paranormal erotica under the pen name Marie March, and soon realized the WRB tag line, while perfect for my historical novels, didn't necessarily speak to the unrestrained sexual element of my shorter works. I needed a tag line that packed a bit more oomph, something that set my paranormal erotica apart from others writing in the genre.

If you look me up on MySpace, I bill my erotica as stories that feature sinister, yet sexy vampires, earth and sky Faeries, Fallen Angels, and nubile Nymphs with a heat rating that falls anywhere between sensual and scorching. Although this description reads well for MySpace, how could I begin to translate everything into a succinct memorable tag line?

After some thought, I whittled down the above descriptor to three words--you read that correctly. Remember, a good rule of thumb is KISS! Keep it simple sister! Think of any annoying television jingle and you will understand why the rule of three works. For example, one magazine ad that sticks in the corner of my brain is, got milk? It's certainly clear what the advertisers are pushing, and with two simple words, the entire dairy industry is represented.

In the end, branding plays a large part in an author's success; it's what initially draws a reader to your work. Staying true to your brand is what the reader expects, and ultimately, the reason that keeps your readers coming back for more.


Author info:
www.lisamcampbell.net
Where romance begins…
www.myspace.com/lisamcampbell
www.twitter.com/darceezgrl
www.myspace.com/mariemarch
sin~sational romance!
http://www.celticqueens.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment